About Alkemy Innovation
Alkemy Innovation Inc. is a growing engineering company providing technical services and consulting, while also developing science-based software solutions that provide specific technical direction and guidance from “big data”. Technical strengths include: first principles-based process model development, technology assessments of process analytical technologies, applied mathematics/data models, and creating hardware and software solutions for gathering better data and enabling streamlined data analyses/data visualization.
Current focus of the company is on the brewing industry, chemical industry and the pharmaceutical industry where better, faster data access and real-time overlay of time-based variables is crucial for activities such as: 1) rapid troubleshooting, 2) streamlined R&D planning and implementation, 3) predictive model development, and 4) optimized manufacturing processes.
Opportunities abound, not only for more efficient experimental planning and execution by scientists, but also for more advanced “smart” models that can be implemented to make processing more effective (i.e., producing the desired product quality and quantity).
To deliver these models, Alkemy Innovation works with a series of available technologies and tools that support optimal data management and retrieval. For example, Alkemy Innovation leverages an application from Seeq that is dedicated to time-series data investigation and works with any process historian (e.g., OSIsoft PI System, Emerson Advanced Continuous Historian) and other database soures. With features like being able to easily search and interact with past and present time-series data in a “google-like” fashion and collaborate in real time, the Seeq tool is an example of a tool that supports the desire for intuitive, visual, and innovative data analyses.
Building upon data access and visualization tools, Alkemy Innovation leverages other tools like JMP, Spotfire, and Matlab to support the development of new models and correlations, along with their implementation into the day-to-day practices.
Examples of Offerings (and key technical strengths) Include:
- Technical and business-focused consulting support for strategic plan development. Specific examples:
- Sample and data management, upstream and downstream.
- Continuous manufacturing opportunities.
- On-line measurements combined with at-line analysis (and on-line).
- Correlation of product quality to key process variables.
- Model-based, predictive, process control.
- Automation of repeated analysis tasks and reporting for future reference.
- Data-driven model development and seamless integration into workflow. Includes first principles-based model development and approaches to identify key relationships.
- Hardware and software technology assessment (including process analytical technologies) and implementation.
- Data analysis, data visualization, and data reporting strategy development.
- Software development planning and execution.
Alkemy Innovation Inc. values developing solutions collaboratively with groups of industry leaders so that a solution can be broadly adopted in advancing new products and medicines. The company also values creating partnerships with companies who want to tailor their hardware and software solutions to the scientists and engineers who run the R&D, pilot, and manufacturing scale processes.
About the Founder
Lisa J. Graham is a registered professional chemical engineer (Ph.D.) with 20 years experience across many industries: pharmaceuticals and life sciences (15 years), specialty and commodity chemicals, agriculture, pulp and paper, and wafer manufacturing for electronics. Her technical strengths include: Chemical engineering expertise, product development expertise, process model development, technology assessments of process analytical technologies, applied mathematics/data models, and creating hardware and software solutions for gathering better data and enabling streamlined data analyses/data visualization.
She has had the opportunity to develop a strong business background through COO, SVP, and CEO leadership positions, including co-founding Black Canyon Woodworks in Bend, Oregon. She is actively involved in supporting higher education, specific STEM education initiatives, and economic development at the State and National level. Specific efforts include serving as Director on the Oregon Governor's STEM Investment Council and as Chair of the Oregon Board of Trustees for Oregon Tech University (OIT). (*STEM: Science, Technology, Engineering, Math)
Responsibility: Support for Arts and STEM
Alkemy Innovation Inc. also values active support for education of the combined fields of Arts and STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics).
“The difference between science and the arts is not that they are different sides of the same coin… or even different parts of the same continuum, but rather, they are manifestations of the same thing. The arts and sciences are avatars of human creativity.”
~ Mae Jemison, a doctor, dancer and first African American woman in space.
- An education rich in the arts will help kids excel in math and science
- Art is not a charity, but rather an integral piece of a successful business strategy
- STEM creates a powerful synergy between art and technological advancements
- Business and communities can find ways to volunteer, fund and politically support Arts and STEM
Photo: Lisa Graham, CEO and Founder, at the STEM Ecosystems Community of Practice Kickoff Meeting at the White House, Washington D.C., November 11-12, 2015.
A few examples of our Arts and STEM community involvement!